We are grateful to the Commodore Francois Abiven and his team for choosing us to be their partners in the organization of the 24th Engineering Challenge Cup (ECC). The event will be held from/to Trogir, 6 – 13 May 2017, covering the Central Dalmatian islands.
There will be 61 boats competing and a support fleet of four boats (Scorpio 72, Dufour 56 and two RIBs). We have teamed up with:
– The charter companies to secure the boats
– Trogir Tourist Board for our two main events that will take place in SCT Marina and in the Kamerlengo Fort.
– Vis Sailing Club for the local support with the Sailing Federation
– The International Race Officer Alen Kustic for the race organization
AUGUST 2016 – Fleet of 61 boats has been fully secured. We met with the Trogir Tourist Board to explore our options for the Welcome and Prizegiving parties.
SEPTEMBER 2016 – The boats have been allocated to the skippers.
OCTOBER 2016 – Recce trip with the Commodore’s team on board of Scorpio 72 with the Captain Leo Lemesic. We spent five days touring the area, meeting our local hosts and partners.
DECEMBER 2016 – Meeting in Split with the Race Officer and the Support Team.
MARCH 2017 – Social side of the event is being finalised! Our Welcome and Prize Giving events will be in Trogir. Regular AVEVA sponsored evening will be in Palmizana, at Toto’s (always one of the best evenings of the event!). This year the CHRISTOF INDUSTRIES are back on board and will be sponsoring the last evening on the course, at Lucice Bay. This will, no doubt, make a fantastic ending to another great ECC event.
APRIL 2017 – The countdown has started! The LOGBOOK has been published and it looks great! Please view it here: ECC 2017 LOGBOOK. With a couple of weeks to go, the excitement is high and we just can’t wait to meet everyone in Trogir, on the 5th and the 6th May. The Race Officers and the Commodore’s team are working hard on the final TCFs and the social side of the event is being polished by us. We hope that 370 participants will enjoy the Central Dalmatian islands and that the weather will be kind to us.
MAY 6 – 13 – We have had an extraordinary week, one that has brought participants closer together than they have ever been. The ECC family. We lost a very dear member of that family this year, Jose Miguel Martinez. We paid a very moving tribute to Jose Miguel and sailed in loving memory of our friend throughout the week.
The weather allowed for less races than usual, but we have the winner and the new Commodore of ECC 2018 – Congratulations to BERTHOLD SCHULZ and his team from Boat 74, the new winners of the ECC event! Fantastic performance from the new crew and a great spirit indeed. There is a busy year ahead of you, but an exciting one too. I wish you the best of luck with the forthcoming organisation of the ECC 2018 event.
I would like to say a big THANK YOU to a number of people who have, for me, made this event possible and special:
– To Francois and Sjoerd Jan and their team for appointing us to organize ECC 2017. But also for being fantastic partners to work with. I thoroughly enjoyed working with you on this year’s event, both throughout the preparations and during the week. You were professional in every way and great fun too!
-To our Race Officer, Zlatko Jakelic who supported this years’ event with great enthusiasm from beginning to end. Zlatko cooperated with Alen Kustic during the months leading up to the event and ran the ECC week with a great attitude and professionalism. It was a real pleasure having you on board and I sincerely hope to be able to work with you again in the near future.
– To Leo Lemesic, our local guru, whose knowledge of the area and expertise in sailing made him a perfect right hand to Zlatko.
– To my UK support team: Eva, who has been looking after the skippers throughout the year, making sure everything was covered and ready for the start of the event. Eva also joined us for the last couple of days of the event this year. And Dave who has been a fantastic help during the ECC week again this year.
– To my local support team: Zoran, Rike, Deni and Zare! It was a real pleasure working with you guys and I really hope we get a chance to work together soon again. You make a perfect team.
– To Nina and her team from Trogir Tourist Board, our crucial on-the-ground link for an endless amount of logistics. They were working with us from the start of the organisation and I am grateful to all they have done for the event.
– To Yacht Club Host from Vis for their local support in registering the event and supporting it with the Federation.
– To people of Trogir and all the places we visited, for welcoming us with enthusiasm and generosity.
It was great to see so many familiar faces and friends again this year and to meet new ones. Some great memories.
‘OSRAM’ TEAM, SKIPPER MICHAEL PLAUSER, BOAT 75:
‘Dear Sasha, (& to whom it may concern!)
Just a quick note from Munich: I’d rather be sailing ;-)
Best wishes from crew75: we really enjoyed the ECC week and appreciated the warm welcome to Team OSRAM, as we have participated for the first time! What a wonderful event & such a good atmosphere in combination with the Croatian sun & wind!
But our special thanks go to you & the whole ECC organization team! You all have done such a remarkable job in front and “behind the scene” to make this a success. Yes, we all are sad and speechless about what happened to Jose Miguel – but we shall keep his good memories and it was also a very moving moment for all of us with all the boats & the flowers in the ceremony ! I can imagine that this has been an unforeseen additional burden for the whole organization team!
I just wanted to state the you always found the right balance between the sometimes extreme opinions in the group and you always had our full support and admiration in the way everything (!!) was managed!
We hope to be part of ECC 2018 again & meet you there as well and intensify our first contacts year by year!
Best wishes & a soft start into the “daily work”, Michael & Crew75′
SKIPPER JAKALYN JAMES, BOAT 19:
‘Hi Sasha, I would like to thank you on behalf of EC19 for all your hard work before and during ECC 2017. Given the circumstances, it was an extraordinary week… I appreciate all the help through the year as well as through the week. The information, transfers hotels etc were great. The charter company were very good as was the boat. I didn’t have to leave a deposit. Given the complexity of the event, especially this year, along with the wind and the weather, it was very well organised.
I can’t think of any thing that you could have done to improve the event.
… I nearly forgot to mention the brilliant ground crew! Jak’